Monday, June 25, 2007

I'm back!


Sorry I took 3 weeks to make a new post, school ended then summer started and I haven't been into the blogging mood. Now that things have settled down, here I am. I promise entries will be more timely from here on out but many (all 3) of you probably stopped reading.

A couple of weeks ago I made a trip to the mecca of cerealdom. Actually, it wasn't some cereal heaven but just my Grandparents house which happens to be where I spoke my first English word, cereal. They use to keep the cereals in a cabinet at floor level (perfect for children who also happen to be close to the ground), near the sink but now the cereals are near the wall.

My Grandma (Po Po) is VERY strict on healthy food. Well, she's not fascist strict but certainly very cautious and nagging, but in a concerned loving way. She runs a pretty tight ship but whenever we come to visit my Grandpa (Gung Gung) seizes the opportunity to go buy some junk food in anticipation of our arrival and snacking desires. This usually ranges from cereal (though not as often these days) to cookies and potato chips, lots and lots of potato chips. Most of these are considered contraban since they cumulatively led to Gung Gung needed (if I remember correctly) a triple by-pass heart surgery. Yikes.

Getting back to the cereal, in the morning I ate Trader Joe's Brand Banana Nut Clusters. This was a semi-unique opportunity for me since when I buy cereal, I tend to be a name brand elitist which has its ups and downs. BNC is like Honey Bunches of Oates but banana flavored and with walnuts in it. It actually tastes better than it sounds, if my description sounded unappealing to you.

Also of interest, in my family, we're all about freshness preservation. When you open the box of cereal, make sure to roll the bag down so air doesn't get in, close-pin it if you have to. I'll probably do a writeup on the importance of cereal preservation later but for now I'll leave you with this. My grandparents have the ultimate method of both keeping the cereal fresh and ant free.

No comments: